Abilene

9.13.2010



Mediafire was acting up for a bit but it appears we are back in business. Today I will throw up "Abilene" and in particular their album "Twin Guns, Twin Arrows."

I love the mood of this album. Abilene is a band that escapes classification but easiest would be post-rock. There are vocals but overall what Abilene offers is extremely minimalistic; leaving large brooding silences and emptiness between different sections of their songs. The buildups are not overly intense and it is a quiet impactful album. I find that horned instruments have this tendency to overpower all of the other instruments, but Abilene does a great job of laying a strong undertone with the other instruments.
The vocals are minimal and range from raspy whispers, to quiet well-sung sections, to Shellac-styled shouts and yells.

I personally like the louder, more moody tracks: "Fellini," "Phase Four," & and would be a lot more fond of the whole album being in this style. The vocals reach towards a more emo audience and sound much more intense and frantic. The guitar is played in long drawn out notes but the added volume gives it a less minimalistic feeling compared to the first four tracks on the album. It's a good album as a whole these just were the most down my alley.

The more I write about this the more my lack of musical training is showing though. I am just going to state that this album is extremely stylized with some cool aspects to it. Fans of Colossal should check this out. Or fans of jazz or post-rock bands. I don't know. I felt like putting something kind of different up today. So enjoy.

Myspace (Could not find one.)
Download

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input